have an issue i am not able to find a fix or tweak for and am wondering if anyone here can fix it. and if you would tell me how to fix it. i'd rather fix it then reinstall windows.
okay issue is.
1 opening folders,
explorer opens first folder as it is too do except it has the directory tree on the left.
if i go in to another folder it opens a new window with the directory tree showing on left.
i have all settings in all tweaking programs and options panels set to use same window for each folder.
and not to show any explorer bar at all on the left.
3 tried fix's
made new profile
changed and unchanged every tweak in every program i have.
changed prioritys of some processes, stopped some process's from running,
installed debugger programs,
nothing i've installed can find anything and all things i've tried to fix this have failed.
as i said i don't want to reinstall and format so if you know what is going on or if you can tell me how to install windows with out formating, i think i would do that? i've done it before but have forgot what i did its been so long ago since i did that type of install?
thanks for any help.
I am guessing that you have Windows XP. I am also hoping that it is XP Professional & not XP Home Edition.
I also hope that you have the XP CD with the installation key.
1. Boot from the CD
2. Press F8 to agree to the EULA (as if you are installing a new installation of XP)
3. When the install program detects that XP is already installed then it will give you an opportunity to run a Repair.
4. Run the Repair from this point and then it will replace all of the files that are in the Windows folder/directory.
5. It will do its GUI install & then you reboot & put in the Product Key.
6. You will have to install all of the updates that have come out for the past 10 years or so.
7. All of you other programs will be there & all of your data files will still be there.
You never said what version of Windows. : (
thanks guy's i am sorry dtm i forgot to say it is xp pro sp3.
jt i will try that i been looking for my post online at one of the many forums were i said how i did it but it seems to have been swallowed up by cyper space??
i thought i deleted the windows folder and i didn't want to do that again with all the extra's i added in to some folders like the themes and msagents. too many to find and redo.
i'll try yours i do have lots of the updates saved in a different download folder so i can always go to there and copy them to the temp folder so windows will install them when i go to the update site again. that will save on download time but i know i don't have all 10 yr's worth of them.
Do yourself a favor and download Firefox. You will be very pleased with it. I haven't used Internet Explorer in years.
its not internet its windows explorer big difference. thanks for the thought anyway :)